Skip to content

For Study Away Students

Studying away is an important decision in a student's pathway to personal and professional development. Furman offers a widemayx range of study away options:


- Semester, Summer and May Experience Faculty-Led programs

- Furman Exchange programs in Japan

- Furman approved Affiliate programs, which are coordinated by other universities or study abroad providers



Explore our study away programs.

How do I know which program is right for me?

Consider some of the following questions:

- What do you hope to gain academically, personally, and professionally from studying away?
- Do you want to study away for an entire semester, or is a short-term program a better fit?
- When would a study away program fit into your Pathway at Furman?
- What courses do you need to take while you are away?
- Do you prefer to study in a developed or developing country?
- Would you like a destination where English is spoken or would you prefer to be immersed in another language?
- Would you like to take classes in English or in a foreign language?
- Would you thrive under a guided or a more independent experience?
- Would you like to live with a host family?
- How will you finance your experience abroad? 
- What scholarships and financial resources are available to you? Learn more about Financial Planning for study away programs.


1. Find a Program

Furman offers a variety of study away programs for our students. Students can participate in year-long, semester, May or Summer programs. To explore our program options, visit our "Application Portal"

For official university policies regarding academic regulations, transfer credit, and courses descriptions, students should refer to the current University Catalog or consult the Registrar’s Office.

2. Review the Study Away Student Handbook 

3. Log In & Apply

Furman Students - Select "Log In" at the top right of the page.

​Non-Furman Students applying to come to Furman as an Exchange Student - Select "Non-Furman Log In" and follow the instructions to create an account and access the exchange application.


For Faculty-led and Affiliate semester programs, the students are billed the Furman semester tuition, room and board on campus plus a study away fee (tuition, lodging, most meals, and course-related travel are included). ​Costs for Exchange programs vary. For some programs you may pay tuition, room, and board to Furman, for others room and board may be paid directly to the exchange university.Financial Aid applies as it would on campus. Learn more about the costs of semester study away programs.

MayX tuition is covered in the comprehensive semester fees, so students are charged the actual program costs which can range from $2,500 to about $6,000. Learn more about the costs of MayX study away programs.

Students participating on Non-Furman programs must request a Leave of Absence the semester before the commencement of their Non-Furman study away program. When a student takes a leave of absence from Furman, they apply and pay the cost directly to the Non-Furman program.


Financial Aid

Scholarships are available for Furman Faculty-led, Affiliate, Exchange, and MayX/Summer participants. Scholarships are awarded based on financial need, academic performance, and student’s rationale for study away. Students intending to apply for a Study Away scholarship should be sure that they have a FAFSA report on file with the Financial Aid office for the previous year. Students are eligible for one scholarship per year and any scholarships awarded in subsequent years will be reduced.


Students cannot apply any of their Financial Aid or Scholarships towards a Non-Furman program.


Learn more about Financial Aid & Scholarships for study away programs.

Living in a foreign country for any amount of time can be challenging, both physically and emotionally. Before you depart, be sure to review our resources to prepare for your trip so you know what to expect, and what to do in an emergency. Visit our Health & Safety page to learn about insurance, resources, and culture shock on Furman study away programs.

For Furman University's latest update on COVID-19 (coronavirus), please visit Furman University's COVID-19 Homepage


As soon as you're accepted into a program, you should apply for or renew your passport. Your passport must be valid for a minimum of six months beyond the return date of your program. Remember, you may need to submit your passport information several months before you travel so it's best to start the passport process as early as possible.

1. State Department - Applying for a Passport

-  You must apply in-person at a designated Acceptance Facility if one of the following applies to you:

  • You are applying for your first U.S. passport

  • You are under age 16

  • Your previous U.S. passport was issued when you were under age 16

  • Your previous U.S. passport was lost, stolen, or damaged

  • Your previous U.S. passport was issued more than 15 years ago

2. State Department - Renewing a Passport

- To be eligible to renew your passport via mail, your passport must:

  • Be in your possession​

  • Be undamaged outside of normal wear and tear 

  • Was issued from when you were 16 or older

  • Was ​issued within the last 15 years

  • Was​ issued in your current name or you can document your name change.


​Students are responsible for obtaining all necessary documents to obtain a visa(s) for your program's destination(s), including all costs associated with obtaining a visa. You should consult with the program director and the study away office to determine what additional visa requirements may be needed. In most cases, you will need to travel to the nearest consulate office to obtain a visa for travel to their desired destination country.    

For more information about passports, visas, and entry regulations, visit the U.S. State Department website to begin your research.