Skip to content

Exchange Program Questions

What’s the difference between a Faculty-Led program and an Exchange Program?
Furman is partnered with three exchange universities in Japan: Waseda University, Seinan Gakuin University, and Kansai Gaidai University. When participating in an exchange program, you will enroll directly into one of these universities and take courses that are offered to students through the university. 
Who should participate in an exchange program?
Students who are very confident in their ability to travel alone and feel comfortable in a new setting making friends and attending a new university.
What is the deadline to apply for an exchange program?
You can find deadlines on the Study Away website. After being accepted and nominated by Furman, students will complete a second application to their exchange university. You must be accepted by both institutions to participate in the program.

How competitive are the Exchange Programs?
Depending on the year, the program can be quite competitive. There are also fewer students that apply to these programs, though, because it is a very individualized experience. 

How am I billed for an Exchange Program?
You will be billed through Furman for the cost of Furman tuition, and possibly room and board, depending on the agreement. Some agreements only include tuition, and you would be required to pay room and board directly to the exchange university.